If you're going through a divorce, what rights should you be aware of and work to protect?
- Adoption: You may have rights that prevent your former spouse from putting your child up for adoption.
- Custody: You may have the right to pursue joint custody.
- Financial support: You have the right and the obligation to provide ongoing financial support for your children in most divorce situations.
- Paternity: You have the right (or may be required) to prove that you are the biological father of any children involved in a divorce. However, in most situations if you were married to the child(ren)'s mother when she became pregnant, you are assumed to be the father and a paternity test may not be required.
- Visitation: In most situations you have the right to spend time with your children even after the divorce becomes final.
To discuss with a professional father's rights lawyer in Woodmere, NY, call Abraham & Jesselson Law Group, LLC at (516) 821-0990 today.